The Australian government still wants terror suspect David Hicks brought to trial as soon as possible despite fresh legal delays, Prime Minister John Howard says.
The US defence department has suspended Hicks's military commission trial, which had been due to start on Friday at the Guantanamo Bay naval base in Cuba.
The move came after a US District Court ruling that the Hicks case should be postponed pending another detainee's challenge to the legality of the military commission process, which has been condemned by civil libertarians.
Mr Howard said Hicks's lawyers were responsible for the latest delays.
"The latest delay is not the fault of the American government or the Australian government. The latest delay is a result of legal action taken by Mr Hicks's lawyers," he told reporters in Sydney.
Mr Howard said he spoke about Hicks with US Attorney-General Alberto Gonzales during his visit to Australia, and both countries wanted the matter resolved quickly.
"We had quite a lengthy discussion," he said.
"I think we want it to be brought to trial in the military commission as soon as possible.
Adelaide-born Hicks, a Muslim convert, faces charges of conspiracy to commit war crimes, attempted murder by an unprivileged belligerent and aiding the enemy.
He was captured fighting with the Taliban in Afghanistan in the immediate aftermath of the September 11 2001 attacks and has been held at
Guantanamo Bay since early 2002.